In an emergency, you can call our security firm Regent Security Services on the operation mobile on 07739 870 077 which is manned 24/7 or out of office hours on 0845 371 0101 quoting ref: 70641. (Please note that this service can be used however for the following, there will be a minimum charge of £36.00: lock out calls, falsely activating the fire alarms or any other non emergency calls.)
Useful contact numbers in case of an emergency
Emergency Services: 999
Police- Non Emergency: 0116 222 2222
Transco- Gas Emergency: 0800 111 999
Severn Trent Water: 0800 783 4444
Q. How can I ensure that I am practicing safe cooking?
- Do not leave cooking unattended. cooker fires are the most common cause of fire in student accommodation.
- The use of chip pans is strictly prohibited.
- Please make sure all cooking appliances are turned off after use.
Q. What do I do if I can smell gas?
- DO NOT Turn the electrical switches on or off
- DO NOT Smoke
- DO NOT Use naked flames
- DO Turn the gas supply off at the meter
- DO Open all doors and windows
- DO Call Transco Gas immediately (0800 111 999)
Q. What happens if I misuse the fire equipment?
It is an offence to tamper with any fire equipment including the fire alarm system and fire extinguishers. An automatic fine of £100 will be charged for any incident involving the misuse of fire equipment.
Q. What should I do if there is a power failure?
- Ensure that all electrical equipment is turned off, especially heating and cooking appliances which may become dangerous when the supply is restored.
- Use a torch in preference to candles.
- Check that all of the trip switches are still on. If one has tripped, try resetting it, if it trips again or fails to reset, contact an appropriate member of staff on duty.
- Where all power is out in the neighbourhood, call Western Power Distribution on 0800 056 8090.